As seen brewed by Michael Dawson in Chop & Brew – Episode 12. Thanks to Michael for sharing this recipe with us.
Belgian Dark Strong Ale 2013
5 gallons, all-grain
Target OG: 1.076 (adjust grist for your efficiency)
19 SRM, 26 IBU
- 10 lbs Belgian Pils (78%)
- 1.5 lbs Weyermann Bohemian Dark (12%)
- 4 oz C-120 or Special B (2%)
- 2 oz Blackprinz or Debittered Black (1%)
Mash at 152F for 60 minutes.
You may need to adjust based on equipment, but as a baseline I’d use about 16 liters to mash, then enough 170*F sparge water to reach a preboil volume of approximately 6-6.5 gallons (24-26 liters or so). I boiled this wort for 60 minutes, but longer (90 min) would be fine too – just adjust for bittering and boil-off.
Hop and other fermentables:
- 1 oz First Gold (8.6% aa, whole) at 60 min
- 0.5 lbs D180 candi syrup (end of boil)
- 0.5 lbs Brun Foncee soft candi sugar (end of boil)
Partial mash version: Mash 1 lb Belgian Pils, 1.5 lbs Bohemian Dark, 4 oz C-120, 2 oz Blackprinz. Add 7.5 lbs Pilsen LME to boil and increase bittering hops to 1.25 oz.