As seen made by Grandma Lois, Elsa and Chip’s Mom in the Chop & Brew Lagniapple video “German Potato Pancakes with Mom & Grandma Lois.”
Measurements are old-school, informal, casual grandma-style. Tweak to taste and specifications.
Ingredients (serves four):
– 8-10 potatoes (Russet or other, NOT Yukon)
– vegetable oil (enought to fill pan/griddle to 1/8-1/4 inch)
– 5 Tbsp flour
– 2 or 3 eggs
– 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
– milk (enough to thin mixture to a somewhat soupy mashed potatoes texture)
– white sugar
– applesauce (optional)
– NO ketchup
– Heat griddle with oil to 400+F [you want to fry ’em hot and fast!]
– Spoon potato mixture into heated oil, spread with spoon to 1/4 in thinck
– Repeat for several pancakes, do not crowd them, do not allow them to touch
– Cook 4-5 min or until underside is brown and somewhat crispy and the edges are lacy
– Flip pancakes and cook other side in oil for 4-5 min.
– Remove from oil to plate or paper towel, top with white sugar. Grandma Lois says a LOT of sugar.
– Keep warm in warm oven while cooking other pancakes
– Optional toppping: even more sugar and/or applesauce