Solar Wave Golden IPA artwork by Lucas Glusenkamp
Brew Day Notes from Andy:
- Everyone’s water is different. The salt additions below are based on the water profile for Saint Paul, MN. Of all the city water profiles in BeerSmith, Saint Paul is closest to that of Dallas, TX. Gauge your possible salt additions accordingly.
- Hop additions at end of the boil (flame-out) get a 15 minutes “stand” or rest prior to chilling.
- Dry hop once beer has fully attenuated. Remove yeast from beer (or vice versa), dry hop for 3 days, then cold crash.
SOLAR WAVE GOLDEN IPA
All-grain for 6 gallons
- 5 lbs 8.5 oz Rahr 2-Row (54.3%)
- 3 lbs 13.3 oz Rahr Premium Pilsner (37.6%)
- 13.4 oz Gambrinus Honey Malt (8.2%)
- 0.5 oz Warrior [18% AA] @ 60 minutes
- 0.5 oz Idado 7 [14% AA] @ 20 minutes
- 0.25 oz Chinook [12% AA] @ 20 minutes
- 1.0 oz Idaho 7 @ flame-out
- 0.5 oz Chinook @ flame-out
- 2.0 oz Idaho 7 – dry hop for 3 days
- 1.0 oz Chinook – dry hop for days
- Chico Ale: Wyeast 1056, White Labs WLP001, Safale US-05, Danstar BRY-97 or similar
- Simple single infusion mash. Mash in grains with 3.7 gallons of 162.6°F water to achieve mash temperature of 151°F. Add 5.14 grams gypsum (calcium sulfate) and 1.71 grams calcium chloride to mash**, stir well to incorporate. Rest mash for 60 minutes.
- Fly sparge with 6.31 gallons of 170°F water to collect 8.27 gallons of pre-boil wort.
- Bring to boil. Boil 90 minutes with hop additions at times noted above, with flame-out hops getting a 15 minute rest before chilling wort.
- Chill wort to pitch yeast. Ferment at 64°F until fully attenuated.
- Rack into secondary or pull yeast out of conical fermenter. Add dry hops for three days, then cold crash. Bottle or keg to 2.5 volumes of CO2 (15.47 psi).
- Enjoy fresh!
** These salt additions are based specifically on our Saint Paul, MN water supply. The closest profile to our city water on BeerSmith is the Dallas water profile.